Taliban Frees American Abducted While Traveling in Afghanistan More Than 2 Years Ago

WASHINGTON — An American man who was abducted more than two years ago while traveling through Afghanistan as a tourist has been released by the Taliban in a deal with the Trump administration that Qatari negotiators helped broker, the State Department said Thursday.
George Glezmann, an airline mechanic from Atlanta, is the third American detainee to be released by the Taliban since January. He was seized by the Taliban’s intelligence services in December 2022 and was designated by the U.S. government as wrongfully detained the following year.
In a statement, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Glezmann was on his way back to the United States to be reunited with his wife, Aleksandra, and praised Qatar for “steadfast commitment and diplomatic efforts” that he said were “instrumental in securing George’s release.”
“George’s release is a positive and constructive step,” Rubio said. “It is also a reminder that other Americans are still detained in Afghanistan. President Trump will continue his tireless work to free ALL Americans unjustly detained around the world.”
Read More: How Qatar Became a Major Middle East Power Broker
Glezmann was being accompanied back to the United States, through Qatar’s capital, Doha, by Adam Boehler, who has been handling hostage issues for President Donald Trump’s administration. The Taliban disclosed earlier Thursday that Boehler had been meeting on hostage issues with a delegation that included Afghan Foreign Minister Amir Khan Muttaqi.
The release of Glezmann, who’s in his mid-60s, is part of what the Taliban has previously described as the “normalization” of ties between the U.S. and Afghanistan following the chaotic U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan in 2021. Most countries still don’t recognize the Taliban’s rule.
Glezmann’s release follows a separate deal, arranged in January in the final days of the Biden administration and also mediated by the Qataris, that secured the releases of Ryan Corbett and William McKenty.
The Taliban’s Foreign Ministry in Kabul said at the time that those two U.S. citizens had been exchanged for Khan Mohammed, who was detained on the battlefield in Nangarhar, Afghanistan, and later taken to the U.S, where he was sentenced to two life terms in 2008 after being convicted under U.S. narco-terrorism laws.
Unlike in that arrangement, the U.S. did not give up any prisoner to secure Glezmann’s release, which was done as a goodwill gesture, according to an official briefed on the matter who insisted on anonymity due to the sensitivity of the negotiations.
President Joe Biden contemplated before he left office an earlier proposal that would have involved the release of Glezmann and other Americans for Muhammad Rahim, one of the remaining detainees at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. But Biden told families during a call in January that he would not support trading Rahim unless the Taliban released Mahmood Habibi, an Afghan-American businessman who worked as a contractor for a Kabul-based telecommunications company and vanished in 2022.
The FBI and Habibi’s family have said they believe Habibi was taken by Taliban forces, but the Taliban has denied holding him. Representatives for Habibi on Thursday cited what they said was “overwhelming evidence” that he was arrested by the Taliban after his home was searched by people identifying themselves as part of the Taliban’s security service.
“We are confident that the Trump Administration will hold firm that my brother needs to be released for relations with the U.S. to move forward,” one of Habibi’s brothers, Ahmad, said in a statement. “We have reason to be confident Mahmood is alive and in Taliban custody, despite their hollow denials of holding him. My brother is an innocent man who has been held away from his wife, young daughter, and elderly parents for 953 days.”
Associated Press writers Victoria Eastwood in Cairo and Munir Ahmed in Islamabad contributed to this report.
Medicare, Medicaid agency cuts jobs from minority health office, other divisions, as RFK Jr. guts U.S. health department
CMS detailed some of the specific offices impacted by cuts under Kennedy's broader plan to restructure the Department of Health and Human Services.
Wells Fargo and RBC cut S&P 500 targets as Trump tariffs roil stock market
Both firms pulled back where they expect the S&P 500 to end the year after the chaotic week.
Bitcoin climbs while China's retaliatory tariffs push Nasdaq toward bear market: CNBC Crypto World
On today's show, Bitcoin climbs after China retaliated against President Trump's tariffs, while stocks continue to crater following their worst day since 2020. Plus, the Senate Banking Committee advances two key pro-crypto Trump nominations: Paul Atkins for SEC chairman and Jonathan Gould for comptroller of the currency. And, Lily Liu, president of the Solana Foundation, discusses institutional adoption of the network.

Breaking Down the Twisty Ending of Netflix's Korean Thriller Karma
Applovin can offer TikTok 'much stronger bid than others,' CEO says
AppLovin CEO Adam Foroughi called the company's late-stage bid to acquire TikTok a "much stronger bid than others" on CNBC's The Exchange.