Hooters Files for Bankruptcy Protection

BANGKOK — Hooters, the U.S.-based restaurant chain known for chicken wings and “Hooters Girls” skimpy wait-staff outfits, has filed for bankruptcy protection.
HOA Restaurant Group filed the motion for Chapter 11 protection Monday in the North Texas Bankruptcy Court in Dallas.
The company ran into financial woes as its debts mounted, but it says it intends to stay open and resolve its troubles within months. A group of the company’s original founders that own almost a third of Hooters’ U.S. locations, including about half of its biggest volume restaurants, plans to buy and operate more of the outlets, Hooters said in a news release.
“Our renowned Hooters restaurants are here to stay and we are taking action to strengthen our business to better serve our valued customers over the long term,” the company said in a notice on its website.

Hooters, based in Atlanta, Georgia, was founded in Clearwater, Florida, in 1983. Trouble had been brewing for a while.
Hooters had sponsored the No. 9 NASCAR car driven by Chase Elliott since 2017, but last year, Hendrick Motorsports ended its ties to the longtime sponsor because it was not meeting its financial commitments.
Its business strategy has faced challenges over the years, including lawsuits over its hiring of only “Hooters Girls” to serve customers.
Last year it agreed to pay $250,000 and provide other relief to settle a race and color discrimination lawsuit brought by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission against a Hooters outlet in Greensboro, North Carolina.
In 2022, the restaurant refuted claims it was shutting down and rebranding due to changing customer tastes.
In 2019, the Hooters hotel-casino off the Las Vegas Strip was sold to an Indian hotel company and rebranded as the OYO Hotel and Casino.
In 2017, the company tried opening a restaurant that didn’t feature wait-staff in tight tops, as a test of a different approach to its original concept.
Trump will 'buckle under pressure' if Europe bands together over tariffs, German economy minister says
U.S. President Donald Trump could change his trade policies if he comes under pressure from trading partners, German economy minister Robert Habeck suggested.

Global stocks slide as Trump tariffs hit markets
European defense giants eye Starlink alternative within months
European defense giant Leonardo hopes to present a satellite alliance with Airbus and Thales within months, the company's CEO told CNBC.
Here's where Apple makes its products — and how Trump's tariffs could have an impact
China still accounts for the majority of Apple iPhone production, but the tech giant has sought to ramp up manufacturing in places like India and Vietnam.
UK escapes worst of Trump's tariff wrath with 10% levy but warns of 'threat' to global economy
The U.K. escaped relatively unscathed compared to many other nations, facing the lowest trade tariff that President Trump announced Wednesday.